Established under the educational system of 1946, the school became the first public
women's college in the Tokai region. In 1949, then called Gifu Technical College, the
school became a coeducational institution and, with a revision of the educational system
the following year, the name was changed to Gifu Junior College. However, in 1954, the
school reverted to an all women's college and was renamed Gifu Women's College. The final
name change occurred in 1988 and the school has since been called Gifu City Women's College.
Over the last 66 years, we have sent out into the world many fine young people with an
exceptional record of performance. After careful study of how to best keep up with the
changing times and meet the needs of the community, in April 2000 the school was relocated
from the rather small campus at Nagara Fukumitsu to our current location in the Hitoichiba
area of Gifu City. Aiming to make the most of this fresh start, some changes were also made
in our departments. A new department, the Department of International Culture Studies was
created, and two departments were renamed: the Department of English and the Department of
Apparel and Interior Design.